5.09.2011

Lessons

My expectations for this experience were not many. Come to England, learn more about literature and meet new people. But since my arrival, I've learned that this experience has been so much more. 
I've learned more about myself in the past 5 months, than I've known my entire life. 
I've learned that I'm perfectly capable of living on my own, in an unknown country, without having my parents just miles down the road and a phone call away. 
I've learned that even though I am in a different country, my parent's comfort and advice can still be attainable with a simple phone call.
I've learned that you should never take your family for granted.
I've learned that it took me moving to another country for my mom to learn how to use facebook, but boy am I glad that she did, we can facebook chat now!
Although we're still working on skype...
I've learned that moving away from everything you know and love makes you appreciate it even more.
And make you miss your mom's home cooking like no one's business.
I've learned that sometimes it takes a rough patch in your life to realize you need a change.
I've learned that sometimes you have to suffer, and it sucks, and it hurts. 
But you can get back up and confront it.
I've learned that true friends stick around, and let you spill your guts through skype when they're thousands of miles away.
And then you laugh at the technical difficulties and end up spilling your guts to their profile picture.
I've learned that the first step to moving on and becoming a better person is admitting your mistakes and be willing to talk about them with someone. 
Yeah, it sucks being wrong, I know. But trust me, it works.
I've learned that the second step to moving on and becoming a better person is correcting your mistakes.
I've learned that the third step to moving on and becoming a better person is not making the same mistakes again.
I've learned that communication is the key to any relationship.
Seriously, every relationship.
I've learned that sometimes you meet amazing people in unexpected places. 
Leicester Square Station.
I've learned that sometimes you move thousands of miles away from home and meet someone that lived down the road from you.
And they make you smile.
Constantly.
I've learned where the best curry house on Brick Lane is.
Aladdin.
I've learned the fastest way to get to Virginia Water.
There's a shortcut, I'll show you.
I've learned that rush hour in London sucks.
And how to stand on the tube without holding on to the rail when it's crowded... well, almost.
I've learned that everything is served with chips here. 
Everything.
I've learned that green vegetation exists.
AZ peeps, you should check it out!
I've learned that the weather can include more than scorching hot days.
I've learned that Shakespeare and I have a love/hate relationship.
And all it takes is a trip to the Globe theater for me to fall in love with him all over again.
I've (re)learned that I love literature, and that the beauty and power of words is amazing. 
I've learned that I'm incredibly fortunate to be able to experience all these things at my age.
And most importantly, I've learned how to be happy. 

No comments: