3.15.2011

Title Tuesday: Man's Search for Meaning

I've been thinking about new things for the blog, seeing as my resolution for this year was to keep this more updated; which I am already slacking in, I'm sorry. But, I figured I should start a new segment and put my English literature skills to use. 
Title Tuesday
Each week I'll be spotlighting a favorite book of mine, in hopes that some of you will pick it up and enjoy it as much as I did. 

Starting out with one of my favorites:
Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor Frankl
I first came across Frankl's work my senior year in high school. We did an existentialism unit in my senior composition class. Even though most of my class paid no particular attention to the subject, I was instantly fascinated by the philosophy. 

Man's Search for Meaning was written in 1946 by Viktor Frankl. The book chronicles Frankl's experiences in a concentration camp during the war. The book describes his psychotherapeutic method for finding a reason to live during his horrific experience. It is composed of two parts: Part one deals with his analysis of his experiences that took place in the camp, followed by Part two; which then introduces his ideas of the meaning of life and his theory of logotherapy.

Through his experiences, Frankl comes to the conclusion that the meaning of life is in every moment that is lived. Life never ceases to have meaning, even during times of hardship. He describes the intensity of life and the importance of acknowledging it. Frankl further describes the beauty of life and the ability that humans have of choosing our meaning with each choice that we make. 

Frankl's work was a definite source of inspiration that year for me, and still continues to have an impact in my life. I walked away from that class with a new outlook on life and aware of the intensity of life that Frankl describes in the book. 

Man's Search for Meaning has been ranked among the top 10 most influential books and it is a definite read for everyone. 

So, take a trip to the library, Barnes & Noble, Amazon, you name it, and pick up a copy!


No comments: