3.16.2011

Journal Challenge

Recently, my Material Poetics professor challenged us to really explore our writing and focus on journaling our thoughts. In the past, I've tried keeping journals; but, I loose interest quickly and I'm not consistent with my writing. So, I figured I should actually challenge myself and see how this goes. My professor explained how great writing comes from someone that is fully self-aware and in tune with their thoughts and beliefs. I guess this is where I struggle, seeing as I'm still growing and learning a lot about life. However, she gave us several prompts that help you explore your mind and what you think. Now, a lot of these prompts are very personal and ask for private thoughts that I'm not willing to share with the world. However, I decided that I'm willing to share a few on the blog and hopefully more people will be inspired to do the same. 

The first prompt was to write a letter to yourself. When I first read this prompt, I felt that it was very vague and I was a bit confused as to what I was supposed to tell myself. However, after thinking about it, I realized that was the entire point. What are you willing to admit to yourself and actually confront yourself about it? 

So here's my stab at it:
   
Dear Maggie,


A year ago, you would have never pictured yourself in the position you are in today. You were upset, you thought life was going downhill, and you feared that you would never find someone else. You began to think of life as a set definite plan and lost sleep over figuring out every detail about it. You stopped living in the moment like you used to and became this robot-like figure who over analyzed every decision. Can I say how happy I am that we're over that? Life is beautiful, and I am sure you're fully aware of that now. Sometimes life gets hard and it's very easy to loose sight of your goals. Although you went through a rough couple of months, they made you stronger than you have ever been. You became your own woman, not holding back by anyone or anything. You proved to yourself how capable you are of being your own person and making your own decisions. I know it was in you all along, but you needed a struggle to overcome to finally realize it. You finally opened your eyes and realized that everything you need was just a phone call and a quick drive home away. Your family has been your rock these past couple of months, it was them who got you through those miserable days and told you to keep your head up. I can't believe it took you so long to come to that realization but I could not be happier that you have finally gotten there. The past couple of months have taught you lessons you will never forget. I am so glad you took the opportunity to live abroad, on your own, and figure out what it was you were truly passionate about. I know that upon your arrival here in England you struggled with the realization of your situation, but you overcame it, very quickly I might add. And  upon that realization you became happier. I haven't seen you this happy in a long time. You are living life as you should, enjoying and learning with every moment you partake in. Even though your family and friends are far away, the things you are learning here are amazing. Not to mention, the people you are meeting here are helping you become a better person, challenging you to open yourself to a new culture and environment. These lessons will carry on throughout your life, and your time here in England will never be forgotten. Keep enjoying the moments you have here and remember to never loose sight of what is ahead of you. Although     you struggle with school at times and you begin to slack off, you have to realize that you have the potential to do everything you are dreaming of. All it takes is for you to set your mind and keep working towards your goals. I have no doubt you will become the woman you have always dreamed of. 
     
Sincerely,
Maggie

No comments: